For so many of us; DJs, ravers, lighting operators, promoters, club managers… it’s all too easy to prioritise a good time and/or working over getting some kip.
Sleep is essential to our overall health, yet so many of us neglect it. But how can you achieve the optimum amount of shut eye and how do those Zzzzs affect our physiology?
MAXIMISE YOUR SLEEP
While the weekend may become a fuzzy marathon of excess, weekdays are an opportunity to get yourself into a proper sleep routine. Now, adults need between 7-9 hours sleep per night, so going to bed and waking up at the same time every day is a simple way to keep your snoozing consistent and effective.
Other simple steps you can take include: drink plenty of water during the day, avoid fatty and sugary foods, don’t eat late at night and have a screen break before you turn in.
All of these will help get you into that deeeep level of sleep, which is critical to processing emotions and regulating your mood.
BENEFITS OF BETTER SLEEP
Here are some of the core reasons to focus on your sleep:
- It can maximise physical performance (dancing at raves, for example)
- Improves social interaction, whether that’s with mates or strangers
- Reduces stress, so less chance of anxiety and depression creeping up on you
- Lowers the risk of long-term health issues like diabetes and heart disease
- Supports a healthy immune system
And that’s just for starters.
Getting a handle on your sleep - even if it’s between sessions - will provide a stable, robust platform for maintaining your overall wellbeing. Topping up your forty winks regularly can ensure your party lifestyle doesn’t have an adverse effect on your mental or physical health…
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh
- press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection